Credit Basics > The Flyingifr Method of Aggressive Credit Repair 2007

Return of debtor prisons

<< < (3/5) > >>

Fighting Irish:
I'm aware. But by posting it, you signaled your acceptance of the terms.

There was a series of articles on collection in my state, a couple of years ago, and the same words were used.

That doesn't mean that I have to take them for my own.

flacorps:
Where real debtors' prisons exist, one of the key features is that the creditor pays the debtor's room and board.

That tends to leave the indigent walking free and the cells reserved for those whose ability to pay needs to be reunited with their willingness to pay.

chester474:
George Orwell had it right.

If you can control the language you go a long way to winning.

Continue to call it "debtors' pison!"

An analogy: There's really no such thing as "identity theft" - it's just old fashioned "bank fraud."
The banks should pay $1 Million to the person who came up with that word.

Unsophisticated consumer debtors who fail to respond to court orders to respond to discovery and supplementray proceeding documents should not be sent to jail. Courts in my state, however, continue to do it.

Technically, this is not "debtors' prison." However, they are debtors and they are being sent to prison for a debt-related matter. Calling it "debtors' prison" puts a bad name on it and will help to prevent the practice - which is oppressive and unjust.

Creditors have enough power as it is. Countervailing powers need to be developed.

The word processor has changed the playing field. If you can throw enough paperwork at the other side they quite often go away. Word processing enables the "little guy" to overwhelm the other side with paper!

Continue to use the term "debtors' prison!"

CleaningUp:
If the courts are not allowed capias, then what sanction do you believe is appropriate for the court to use to enforce their orders.

chester474:
Courts should be required to use discretion and put people in jail where it is really warranted.

Most consumer debtors pay their debts if they can.

Only the real "scofflaws" should be put in jail.

Do they put abusive debt collectors in jail?

Not even that one that was just fined $10,000,000 today!

Jails are dangerous places.

Here in Minnesota Sherburne County sold bonds to build a jail to rent space to the federal government as there is no federal jail around here - running government like a business. 

Business went down and they had empty cells and no money to pay the interest on the bonds.

The Sheriff began jailing people where it really wasn't appropriate.

One family man with no previous record was found to have lapsed auto insurance and was jailed.

A violent criminal somehow got in the general population - the Feds and the County pointed their fingers at each other - and removed a support rail from the wall near the toilet in the cell and hit the man over the head, killing him while he was sleeping. The County paid $3,000,000 in damages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version