Author Topic: 3rd Party Collector  (Read 1696 times)

EMy1C

• Valued Member
3rd Party Collector
« on: July 14, 2010 12:53:07 AM »
My wife and I bought a car just before the economy tanked. Then she lost her job. OK, so not a problem yet.... My paycheck was making it work... very tight.  Then I lost my job ( not whining, just the facts). We tried to make payment arrangements with "The Vikings" but they would have nothing to do with that. Car was repossed and sold for less than what we owed,  contract was sold to 3rd party and now they have started the "give me my money thing".  The car was repossed, they knew we could not make payments on it.
                            Where do I look in Idaho for laws and my rights, keywords?
It was repossed, what were these people thinking! 1215

CleaningUp

• Valued Member
Re: 3rd Party Collector
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010 02:28:47 AM »
Here's a starting place for the Idaho repossession law research:

http://www.lawdog.com/states/id/repo.htm

Anyone who is dunning you for the any deficiency balance other than the original creditor would be a 3rd-party debt collector and subject to the FDCPA and Idaho's consumer protection statutes.

ladygarner

• Valued Member
  • Please consider donating to keep DB alive and well
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010 12:43:33 PM »
Hi EMC!  :) Welcome!

I'm uncertain of Idaho's law; my personal experience with this same situation took place in NC.

After repo, sale, etc. It was sold to a JDB who tried to file suit right at the time SOL would have passed. Fortunately, they were unsuccessful.

This was all before I found DB; matter of fact, they are the reason I found DB so I suppose they were a blessing in disguise.  ;)

I don't know what the date of first default was for your situation, but you may want to check it on your credit report and see what the SOL is for a written contract in Idaho.

I wish all the very best for you... :)
Thanks to all that helped me go from :-[ to :karate: 

Newcomers -- please start here:
The Flyingifr Method of Aggressive Credit Repair

Abbreviations

lucius

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010 10:00:13 PM »
EMC- i'm an idahoan as well. i have searched for all Idaho Statutes and compiled them onto a linked word doc (attached)

ID consumer protection laws are available on the ID Attorney General's web site. i have not had much luck filing a complaint with ID AG.

SOL for written contracts in ID is 5 years.

hope this helps. lucius.

itsmeagain

• Valued Member
  • No Fear
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010 10:49:06 AM »
Great work Lucius but posting it in this zombie thread probably won't get the attention it deserves.  Maybe you could post it in the State Laws board?

credit